Monday, October 22, 2007

I went to a party last night. It was fun. It was also out on the Coast which is a bit of a drive which is why I thank my stars that I own a car - no waiting for the 'reliable' 75 for me!!

Anyway, playing taxi - as I seem to be doing a rather LOT this day it must be said - I was driving along about the deserted roads. I then spotted the Gardaí inspecting a car that had been pulled over. Not wanting to mind my own business, and yet not wanting to draw attention to my LEARNER self, I had to get the perfect balance. I drove - at the right speed limit - slowly passed. It seemed nothing more then a routine stop. Booooooo.

So later that night, still driving, it was close to 1.30am, we turn a corner and meet a set of blue flashing lights. At first we thought it was an accident, but on closer inspection we see a couple of dodgy looking guys standing with their arms out being searched!! There are three Gardaí searching the car as well. This was juicy! Unfortunately I couldn't hang about, my passenger needed to get home. As I waited for the car coming in the opposite direction to hurry up, I must have got distracted...

Cue Revvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv of the engine followed by a spectacular cut out. My friend made a big, loud, deep inhale (followed by a meek shriek) as though she was about to hold her breath underwater. I calmly started the engine again and slowly advanced to overtake the scene. With that the six people - three Gardaí AND the suspected druggies all turned (even the ones being actively searched), big googly eyes and stared at me. And watched me.

"Helllloooo! Take a picture - it'll last longer!!" - I (should have) shrieked!...or "Heh, heh, heh, we're all learners at one stage right??" - playing it reaaaaal smooth. But then again, seeing as I'm a learner not supposed to be driving alone, I didn't want to draw attention to myself. Ooops!