Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Where to begin?

This morning I went off to the Mater for bloods and review. I'll post the waffle version in the medbook-redbook later, but a brief synopsis is as follows:

We got a *bit* of blood after four attempts, which resulted in a blue and rather swollen arm. My lung functions are down a little bit to 2.84L or 90%. Which considering I have a chest infection, is actually not too bad. My weight is fine, but I told them about my lack of energy. My consultant has made the decision to put me on 7 days IV antibiotics (like a drip). I think he's made the right call here, as at least we know they will work. Usually one would have to go into hospital for this, but because I live in Dublin and I'm so cool and all the jazz, the plan is to do it at home. The only slight problem with the whole thing is that I have no veins. NONE. So it would be a crying miracle if the cannula (drip) managed to stay in my arm for seven days.

Because my arms are all messed up today, we're starting on Thursday instead. I've had a whole year free of problems, and the week I am due to start college, I go on IVs. Typical.

But, it's all good. I've made it a year with no problems at all, and this minor blip will be fixed by the end of next week. I'm a bit like a deflated space hopper at the moment, and these antibiotics will give me a nice boost which will make for a nice bounce.

I guess this also means I still *have* to go to the next two Ireland games with my brother. Shucks.