Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Ski part 2

I went ski-ing [falling down a mountain in style] last night for my 2nd lesson of four. I learned a few things besides the actual 'how to ski beautifully'. I learned:

  1. I need to buy waterproof trousers - The slopes are wet. Trousers get wet. You can get possible hypothermia in your legs from wet trousers*
  2. There will always be idiots on the slopes - Ones who block the enterences, ones who stop and chat at the BOTTOM of the slope, causing hazzards and ones who chat waiting for the button lifts, thus missing about 5 button lifts as they do so, all while a queue forms behind them.
  3. Don't leave the ski hut without your skies. (No this wasn't me- see number 2.)
  4. Don't leave the slopes without you poles (Again see number 2.)
  5. Don't fall off the button lifts and just SIT there, MOVE! ( Number 2. again)

Last night I had a different teacher because I usually go on Saturdays but will be missing this Saturday. She was a scary ass teacher it must be said. Very old school and a off-beat sense of humour. Once you got used to her though she wasn't too bad. The people in my class were so sound though, unlike my Saturday class, where it wouldn't surprise me if they brought notebooks and pens to take notes. I had no falls last night either which is always a plus. But when other people fell, we all laughed. Except for the person who fell. They cried. And then they skied away out of shame. (No I'm joking they didn't)My technique is slowly coming along nicely, and the scary ass teacher asked me if I'd ever considered competition. Ooooh, well no as it happened I hadn't. But it was nice to hear that all the same.

Today is the birthday celebration of someone very very close to me. Despite this I haven't bought them their present yet, whoops. But as the song goes, 'Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime, is on your side'. I'm never usually good at buying people presents unless I've had a year or so to think about it, and while this person didn't exactly spring their birthday on me, and I have known them all my life and their birthday falls on the same date every year (coincidence or what!) I still just didn't have time to think. So anyway its down to the ole hovel of Dundrum, to find something extra special. With just a hint of grovel too, I mean I am late with this. What's the point of birthdays anyway. So pointless! Honestly, there is no point to them. Out with birthdays! ...Incidentally, mine is in August just to let you know, so you have plenty of time!

* Not a proven medical fact