Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Geek Not in Me

I am the owner of a very nice Dell XPS laptop, which above anything else, is light weight and extremely portable.

Tonight I was carrying it up to my room and had it open. I held it like an open book as I walked up the stairs. When I sat down, the screen had rotated sideways. I tried shaking the laptop to get it back to normal. But no amount of shaking or swinging would fix my problem.

Instead, I (being addicted to the Internet for short periods) continued to go about my browsing in a most complicated way. The mouse work was what confused me the most. It was a bit like when you see yourself on a television screen in a shop and you're moving backwards to what you actually are....if that makes sense.

After about 10 minutes, I had the brainwave to google my problem. It turns out my stomach managed to press Ctrl + Alt + an arrow key to rotate the screen, which is pretty impressive. I just naively thought my laptop knew when to switch if it was hanging upside down.