Thursday, March 13, 2008

Wish Me Luck!

I start school tomorrow - ski school that is!! (I know BF will appreciate the 'ugh'ness of that 'joke') I'm getting up in 2 and a half hours to get ready. We begin our trip up north and flying out from there.

Five years ago, I went up to learn how to ski with my school as some of them were going to Boston on their ski trip. I wasn't going but wanted to try it anyway. I missed my first lesson as I was sick/had clinic and my PE teacher came to me and said I wouldn't be allowed to continue unless I made up that lesson on my own time before returning for the second class. That same PE teacher always had this thing about me and my CF and never seemed to 'get' it, I always seemed to be 'faking' to her. Terribly unreasonable that one. I could go on but maybe another time.

So needless to say I didn't bother going up for a lesson by myself, on my own time and decided to just wing it. Anyway we ended up in the same class the second week and that instructor was incredibly understanding and didn't even question WHY I was absent. She thought I took to it well (better than my PE teacher who had her eyes constantly on me and who had zero coordination, so ha) and I progressed well. Although I wasn't going to Boston, I was motivated to try skiing again some time.


* * *

Two years ago, I approached my physiotherapist about the possibility of going skiing and she said because of the altitude, I could only go so high and I'd obviously need to use oxygen tanks all the time, and I'd need to be 100% fit of course as well. Now being able to plan a trip in advance and knowing I would be 100%, when my lungs didn't function and I'd get an infection every 10days or so meant that the odds of that happening were.... about as good as my lung function (circa 22-30%).

Ever the optimist I questioned her about the 'ifs' and 'ok, but assumings' and she said it could be possible. My hope raised at that and at the end of the conversation I said to her 'OK, now I won't be hurt, but honestly, in your opinion do you think it's possible...I want the truth.'.

Her head turned and she made about 10 facial gestures in a second concluding in a weak, apologetic smile and replied "no".

She was right of course.

But that's all in the past, as tomorrow I'm getting to finally ski. Considering in the past I've been known to break my arm, have the cast removed and on the same day break the other arm, a bit of luck may be needed!!! Toodle Pip! x