Friday, February 15, 2008

An Observation

Today someone phoned me on my mobile. I didn't recognise the number so was a bit pancaked as to who it was.

I answered.

It was a lady, not an old lady, but not a young lady, but you'd have an idea if you heard her, aged lady.

I said "hello?"

She said "Hi, only me"

Thinking it was my Mom, I said "Oh hi"

*Silence*

Then she stuttered and said "Sorry I must have the wrong number, I'm looking for Olive..."

( I resisted the temptation to shout "Oh POP-EYEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!" )

So we hung up. But my Mom uses that *exact* gentle tone whenever she phones home. It's not a brash, colonol's "Hello. It's. Me." but rather a mothering "only me" - just simple, "you're-not-expecting-my-call-but-here-I-am-anyway".

Do all moms do that? Maybe it's universal. That is all.