Sunday, September 09, 2007

SHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh10 doses down: 10 to goSHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

That's all I'm saying on the matter, as I suspect this one has already popped her clogs and taken refuge outside the vein she's supposed to be plonked in.

Confused? When a Canula blows or tissues, it means the vein has collapsed. The canula is a teeny little line that has been put into the vein in order to run the fluid antibiotics in. So if the vein collapses, it closes down, leaving everything you put into the tube to seep into the surrounding body, causing a burning stinging pain and possible swelling. All entirely pleasant. NOT.

With Canula #1, this happened after four doses, so that I couldn't even push anything in using the syringe because it would not go. And if I really pressed hard, my arm was about to go on fire. Charming.

At the moment, with Canula #2, it feels sore and slightly swollen. But this could be just because it doesn't like the trauma of having things put into it. It still flows very nicely (shhhhhh!), but I put a cold glass against my arm whenever I'm syringing anything in. It's a home cooked idea, working on the hypothesis that if I confuse my senses, it will feel the cold more then the pain. And by George it works!

Still confused? Well it's late and I'm a druggie at the moment.

Interestingly enough, when I was younger, we used to call Canulas "Freddies" (you'd have to 'give Freddie a drink', how clever). Needless to say, I hated the name Freddie for this reason. Anyway, I feel I am too old to refer to my line as 'Freddie' anymore.

I'm trying to think of the WORST POSSIBLE NAME, EVER to label this one. It's bound to offend somebody but what can you do? Ideas on a postcard!

So far, I have Cornelius or Celeste.

A more mature blog entry will come tomorrow, I wrote it on Friday night and feel it is important post for all to read.