Thursday, September 20, 2007

A letter that was sent yesterday, of which I have heard no response. What I do when people and places annoy me:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Today I was purchasing alcohol in your Bloomfields' Tesco in Dunlaoirghe and was asked to produce photo identification. I showed them my driving license and offered to show staff my credit card, two student cards, bank card, travel card and passport as proof of identification, but to no avail. It seems that I had to show a Garda Age Card.

I was approached by a very rude security guard who interrupted me as I calmly tried to show him the seven variations of ID I had on me, all of which were refused. Not only that, but he obviously felt it necessary to gather round two more security guards and watch me as I had to ring a friend to come down and do my shopping for me. The way they felt they had to glance inside our shopping bags as we packed them to investigate exactly what we had, made the security in Dublin Airport feel as invasive as smile. Thankfully I am not that easily intimidated.

Is Tesco aware, I ask, of the
Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003, Section 15 ,which clearly states that an “age document” (a document containing a photograph of the person and information that enables the age of the person to be determined) can be any of the following: an age card (aka Garda ID), a passport, an identity card issued by a member state of the European Communities or a driver license?

The question is, by not selling alcohol to a person (me) that is over the age of 18 and has a legal document to prove so, are Tesco breaking the law?

I would kindly welcome a response to this, as age is something I do not like to be discriminated against. I am not at all offended that people may mistake my age, but to treat a loyal customer in such a rude way is simply not on, especially when it was obvious to everyone that I was not lying about who I was.

At the end of the day, the service I sought was not provided.

Regards,

(My name!)


My younger sister did something similar about three years ago to Tescos and they gave her Tokens For Schools Vouchers. I think she was hoping for free food. (She wasn't complaining about not getting served though obviously). I think there is some genetic thing that runs in our family....CF (Complainers Frequently) I think it's called...