Friday, July 06, 2007

Second Post:The K club was nice, but the day was fairly long. Myself and my Mum manned the tent with three people from Genworth (google them), the sponsor. They had a three hole putting area set up, and for every hole in one that a spectator could get, Genworth would kindly donate €2 to charity (€1 for Golfaid and €1 for Cystic Fibrosis). It was a good competition really - it cost the people no money to take part, but Cystic Fibrosis would benefit. My Mum stayed out on the path and attracted people in (in remarkably true Apprentice style!) and I (and the Genworth people) took their details and gave them the putters and balls.

I think because myself and my Mum have a personal interest in raising money, we were highly motivated to make as much as possible, whereas the Genworth people were just there to represent the company. That's not to say they weren't enthusiastic by any means, but I don't think they would have gone to the lengths to attract and force and push the people to take part like we did.

Anyway, I only got out on to the golf course for about 30 minutes or so. I didn't think I'd have any particular desire to be there, but having spent a while at the holes, it was rather addictive. Unfortunately the 'big' names were all finished by the time I got out to spectate, with only Montgomerie left. I didn't watch him though. A part of me wishes I could go down tomorrow to purely watch, but what can you do?!

At the holes, the nice golfers threw their balls out to the crowd. But then in a move that came right out of a Hollywood movie a young boy politely asked a golfer (probably his idol or something) for his golf ball. The obnoxious golfer then waved the boy aside with his golf club and hissed 'I'm play---ing with it....(d'Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh)'. He sighed and walked off, caddy in tow. I mean this guy's probably minted, he has a hunderd such balls lying around. Tsk!

Oxegen tomorrow - yipooo!