Monday, October 30, 2006

Streching the truth...

Ok, so I finally went up to Kilternan to book my lessons for ski-ing. I had been meaning to do it ages ago (before my transplant in fact) but well, time flies when you're doing nothing. I skied up there in fourth year with the school ( about 2 and a half years ago) and it was so much fun. But I was in the beginner class, where the lessons basically go like this:

Teacher: Ok class, repeat after me, "these are my ski poles, not weapons"
Class: "These are my ski poles, not weapons"
Teacher: "Very good class"
Anon Student: "Oh noooo, help!" ( Skies down the 'slope' and out of the fence altogether)

*Class stopped while we rescue said student.*

And so it goes on. I knew since I had taken to it so well the last time, I did not want to be in the beginner class. I figured I may have to stretch my abilites a little to ensure this didn't happen. So I went up and explained that I'd already had lessons and i DEFINATELY wasn't a beginner. I told him I was fairly comfortable and confident in my abilities to ski, which he took on board. He said to me
"Right I think you're an intermediate so"
Now, admittadly I should have stopped there...but...I told him I'd been to the top of the middle slope before, to which he said
"Ohhhhh, you've been up THERE?! Well then ur advanced intermediate, class C"
Uh oh! I think I may be a bit out of my depth here! So then he asked for my name, which he (obviously) couldn't find in the system. He asked me how long ago I was here. I replied
"Emmmm, maybe a few months ago, could have been a year" (its been nearly THREE)

So into the C class I was put, although the thought of a challenge does excite me! And the other people may be near experts, but then again, I was never particulary strong when it came to sport, so Im used to being pushed to the max! Of course I wasn't particulary strong in sports BEFORE transplant, so who knows how I am now! I expect me to be great!

Anyway Eileen (are you happy now?!) and Helen (are you also happy now?!) both are against the idea, they think I'm crazy. The latter even suggeseted I ring up and switch groups. PAH! And then former still sees herself as a beginner (well the ski club do) so she's prob jealous I was able to skip all the BABY classes. Who knows what goes on in their heads....Anyway Im off. Time for dinner number two!