Monday, July 09, 2007

Well I am well and truly recovered following the weekend's adventures.

I meant to say that this week is Transplant Week in the UK. I vaguely remember it last year because they were filming on 27a, the transplant ward. We were told to stay in the room for a while, which was fine because I had no blood counts anyway. We saw it on the news later that day, and you saw my arm pop out of the room and call a nurse across. See, I just couldn't resist. That nurse became the ward's talk for the next week. Hey, with only 5beds, it's not like there was ever much to talk about anyway.

I remember eating my breakfast and watching GMTV and seeing a girl with CF who was waiting for a transplant talking about...waiting for a transplant. I only caught the very end but I'm almost certain I now know who that blonde girl is, but due to medications messing with my head I can't be too sure. If it is who I think it is, then she's had her transplant since. Of course, it is entirely possible that I imagined the whole thing.

If anyone from the UK is reading this, I sincerely urge you to sign up as a donor. If anyone from Ireland is reading this, I urge you to do the same. In fact, if you are a human being reading this, please sign up. If you are my dog and reading this, please GET OFF MY KEYBOARD.

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/registration/consent.jsp (sign up here, those of you in the UK)

As you all probably know, I am one of the lucky ones who received a transplant a year ago. Without that, who knows where I may (or may not) be today- really doesn't bare thinking about. Towards the end, my infections were becoming so severe, doctors told me that it could just be one bad one and that would be it. I only waited six months which is incredibly quick and although in my mind I was in it for the long haul (I estimated a waiting time of 18months +) sometimes your body and mind aren't exactly moving in the same direction. I hope that if you are not already a donor, that you will think and consider it.
Tomorrow I am travelling east to England for my last and final appointment in Newcastle. I hope everything goes OK. It is a bronchoscopy and biopsy (where they put a camera down into my lungs and then take samples to test for infection, rejection, and to make sure all is sparkly).I will be conked out for the day, and no doubt will be thoroughly confused with all the Geordie accents upon my awakening but never mind. It will be nice to see some of the team who have cared for me, but from what I have gathered a LOT of the staff on 27a have changed and moved on. I suppose nothing stands still for long...Now please do not fret, I shan't be leaving until tomorrow evening so will have time to blog before I leave. And THEN when I'm gone you can all wish me luck!!