Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Later Post: I got my trouser suit. I am a size 10 on top and a size 6 on my waist. That makes me an upside down triangle. Interesting...

Growing up, every weekend and summer day would be spent running around outside with "my group". "My group" consisted of four people. There was me, my sister and two girls known as "The Sarahs". One Sarah was my age, the other Sarah was my sister's age. Since you can't do much with two people, we all used to hang about together despite the three year age gap.

The memories I have of the days spent on Rollerblades, on bicycles, going to the shop, playing our games on the road(made up or otherwise), playing indoors when it rained and making up plays are some of the happiest and most cherished memories I have.

Looking back now, we still laugh at the silly antics we got up to and silly things we would say. I could write a book on "Quotable Quotes".

As we grew up, we drifted apart as you do. We all went on into the same secondary school although we were in different years. I don't think it matters much when you are younger but as you grow, the age gap is more significant. We would say hi on the corridors and bump into each other the odd time.

I still keep in touch with the younger Sarah (though we don't see each other half as much as we should), despite the fact that the older Sarah lives only across the road from me. We discussed all four of us meeting up for a long time, but nothing ever came of it.

Then today, as I was walking down to Dundrum, I met young Sarah (Sassy) and we got chatting, when all of a sudden Older Sarah came up from behind. It was unexpected, and lasted only a few minutes, but we laughed about how funny it was meeting up.

A few minutes later, we all went our separate ways. I stuck my earphones (yes I found them) in my ears and walked on in my direction. I didn't look back. I think the childhood years are the most important in a person's life and I'm grateful mine were so fun.


Despite the closeness and strength of our relationship when we were children, I guess, sometimes, time can act like an unwanted wedge in life; sometimes it feels like only yesterday we were sitting on Older Sarah's wall chatting about making perfume, and yet at others, that interval between now and then seems like a lifetime ago.


I don't know when we will all meet again. Perhaps it will be many years, and perhaps it will be as unscheduled as today's. As I set off listening to Aerosmith's "I don't want to miss a thing", all I could do was smile. I wasn't sad it was over, but glad it had happened.